Sunday, January 6, 2019

I HATE the song "Hunger," by Florence + The Machine.

Having spent weeks gritting my teeth and subduing the urge to run away screaming every time that I have to hear it, I have decided to discuss it.

It is particularly upsetting when I am in the restroom at Whole Foods and have to sit there while the song is playing over the loudspeaker for the store.  

I didn't know whose song it was until this morning, when I Googled it.

I also didn't know until then that the person who wrote it had an eating disorder when she was seventeen.  I am sorry that she had that problem; I was in the hospital for the first time when I was seventeen, and have spent the rest of my life since then being gaslit by anyone who wants to abuse me and lie about it.  Presumably she's all right now, and even if she isn't, that doesn't improve the song.  It has to be one of the worst songs ever written or sung, and it ought to be permanently banned from the solar system.

I have no problem with it if she wants to write other songs about her life, including about her eating disorder and her hope that other people won't suffer in the same way, but I would appreciate it if she would leave me out of it, and if she would start acquaintances with concepts such as melody and tone.  

These are some of the lyrics of that wretched song:

"Tell me what you need, oh, you look so free
The way you use your body, baby, come on and work it for me
Don't let it get you down, you're the best thing I've seen
We never found the answer but we knew one thing"


I need to stop being filmed in the bathroom, and so does everyone else who's being criminally victimized.  We couldn't be less free.