Sunday, October 28, 2018

People have the right to hate Jews.

They have the right to hate black people.

They have the right to hate women.

They have the right to hate Republicans.

They have the right to hate Democrats.

People have the right to hate other people as much as they want, as long as they're not trying to hurt them or negligently allowing them to be hurt.

What people don't have the right to do is to murder other people, regardless of how much they hate them.  

The United States doesn't need the Second Amendment, and it will be unfortunate if the public conversation about yesterday's shooting is only about anti-Semitism.  Anti-Semitism is a facile topic for the people who hate the Trump administration; they will focus on Charlottesville and President Trump's anti-immigration rhetoric, while ignoring his administration's support for Israel.  Anti-Semitism is a facile topic for President Trump and everyone who's in the process of sending donations to the NRA right now. 

Being hated is not my favorite way to spend my time.  However, if people are respecting my rights, then I don't care what they think, and the less reasonable they are, the less I care.  They can be as unreasonable as they want, as long as they're not impeding my ability to live my life.  

I was unsettled by the government's decision to designate certain crimes as being "hate crimes," years ago.  I never really thought it was a good idea.  People have the right to their opinion; that's fundamental to the American identity.  I don't really care why someone makes my life a hell; what I care about is the government preventing people from making my life a hell, and I don't think that telling people what they can and can't think prevents them from forming or maintaining bigoted opinions.