Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Tentative thoughts about this problem.

Quotes:


______



______





Article:




________________


It's my tendency to think that it's ethnocentric to act as if the United States is the only place in the world where people could want to live.  I don't think that I agree with those in the United States who encourage these caravans to continue to the border.

Most of these people seem to be fleeing bad situations and are not planning to hurt anyone.  It's sad for them that their tragedies are being politicized.

I also don't think that one country should have to provide homes for all of these people; the effort to help them should be distributed.

Could President Trump ask for permission to send half of the troops that he wants to send to the border to meet this caravan before it's at the border, bringing humanitarian aid, tents, food, and medical care, and also sending with those troops the message that the caravan won't progress past where it's met by those troops?  Can there then be a process of figuring out where in Latin America they'll all live?  

I also had this thought a few days ago; although I don't like hacking, what about hacking every phone in the caravan and sending a text message from the U.S. Government, telling people that they won't be allowed into the United States and also giving them phone numbers with resources in Latin America to contact for help?  That would reduce the tension that's unavoidable even with a peaceful, physical confrontation.  If local authorities and media reinforce the information in the text message, and the message is sent again every few hours until the caravan disperses, would that solve the problem?  

When I'm really tired, I don't care where I end up sleeping as long as it's safe.  When I have physical injuries, I set aside other considerations and I talk to a doctor.  If I were one of these people, I wouldn't insist on continuing to the United States if I had a safe alternative that I thought I could trust; that seems to be what they're saying.  I don't think it's impossible to de-escalate this problem.