Wednesday, November 28, 2018

I don't identify as being "conservative"; however, I agree with most of what was quoted for this article from October 25, 2018.

https://www.heritage.org/immigration/commentary/qa-migrant-caravan-and-the-us-immigration-system



Disagreement:


-I don't think that people should be sent back to places where their safety is severely compromised. 

-I also don't feel that I know enough about the new leadership in Mexico to have an opinion about that at this time.

Some of the rest of the article is merely informative for me; living in the Northeast my entire life, I am not all that familiar with immigration issues. 


Agreement:

-It's been my impression that the caravans are a manipulation of U.S. law, so I'm glad that the article started by talking about that.  However, I don't think that the migrants are trying to be manipulative, and I don't think that everyone who has tried to support them is trying to be manipulative. 

-I am so glad that I read this article.  I hope that everyone reads it.  I think it was balanced and empathetic. 

Quote from it: 


Doescher: The media narrative now is that Trump is politicizing this issue for midterm elections. What’s your response to this?
 
Quintana: Honestly, I wish that even 50 percent of the attention and the anger and the vitriol that’s being directed toward the United States was redirected toward these corrupt governments in Central America to get their act together and to provide their people with better opportunities. If that was the case, we would not be in this situation.