Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Thoughts about immigration

I am continuing to have major issues to cope with in my nonvirtual life; trying to obtain housing and employment, the difficulties of homelessness, being criminally victimized by voyeurism every day.

I also cancelled my smartphone, not only because it was expensive but also because it provided too much information to everyone who hacked it.

I am therefore again dependent on public access computers to read about current events and to blog.  Since these computers are only available for one to two hours every day, and I also have to use some of that time for my nonvirtual life, I am reading much less and writing much less.

My thoughts about immigration at this time are:

-President Trump said that he wasn't going to allow the caravan into the United States, and he has taken steps to prove that he won't.  Since that's the case, I don't think that other people should have encouraged the caravan to proceed.

-I don't understand why the central argument about this issue has revolved around political parties in the United States instead of being collaborative about alternate solutions that could resettle those in most need in other areas of Latin America.  How could turning people's lives into a political argument be helping them?  The United States isn't the only place in the world where people can be happy and productive.  To suggest otherwise is nonsensical in every respect.  Even the Old Testament provides no basis for saying that everyone in the world who has a problem has to end up living in the United States.  Most religions say something that is equivalent to "There was nothing.  Then, G-d created the world."  I don't think there is even one religion that says "There was nothing.  Then, G-d created the United States."

-If I had to migrate somewhere, I'd want to migrate to a country where English was the first language.  Although I like other languages, I'm only fluent in English, and I know that even for people who are fluent in a second language, there is always some feeling of isolation when you're living somewhere that is linguistically and culturally different from your place of origin.  I really think that it's not only possible, but probable, that most of the people in the caravans have an unrealistic idea of what their lives in the United States would be like, and I don't think that people who are using old and simplistic tropes about the United States being an immigrant country are helping them.  The history of the predominant culture in the United States is that we killed off and displaced the Native Americans, forced the "immigration" of Africans whom we enslaved, and were content to allow millions of immigrants who fled poverty and conflict in other countries to live and work in squalid conditions, in tenements, factories and as servants.  It's never been THAT much fun to be an immigrant in the United States.  Frequently, it's not that much fun to be a fully fledged citizen of the United States.  If I spoke fluent Spanish and weren't destitute, I'd like to travel in the safer areas of Latin America.  Latin America is not inferior to the United States, although it has its problems.   

-Adding to my idea that the majority of people in the caravan are not the most educated people, who have not thought about what their other options might be, are reports that LGBTQ migrants in the caravan have been mistreated by other travelers.  It's an interesting plot development; I think that the U.S. government should grant asylum to the LGBTQ migrants.  It's entirely believable that the options for safety in Latin America which are available to other migrants aren't available to the LGBTQ migrants.