Saturday, December 29, 2018

President Trump, I don't disagree that the people who encourage caravans to proceed have some responsibility for the suffering of the people who are part of the caravans.

Is a border wall the right thing to do?  I don't know.  I don't feel that I know enough about it to give an opinion.

However, your insistence that everyone who's trying to gain access to the country this way is a dangerous criminal isn't convincing; it makes me more skeptical than not.

It's not a nuanced approach, nor does it take into consideration that most of the people in the caravans either don't know that they have other options, or they don't know that those who are encouraging the caravans aren't trying to develop other options.

I have said before that I think the main goal should be to improve living conditions throughout Latin America.  Individual states in the United States don't have problems with people from one state trying desperately to gain access to another state.  Also, citizens from major European countries seem to be able to travel from one part of Europe to another without feeling that they need to locate safe houses from which they can make their cases for asylum; they vacation, they don't flee.

Latin America has a quality of life issue.  That's what needs to be addressed.  When it's addressed, it will improve life for everyone.

I don't understand why you are choosing such harsh tactics when talking to people is one of your strengths.