Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Citizens Bank

For months, the screens at Citizens Bank's locations have had this ad:

-a group of young, female basketball players, of several races, standing in a semicircle around an older, male, Asian coach

-the numbers on the backs of the young women are "15," "3" and "2"

-the coach is holding a basketball in front of him, with his hand draped over it

-the caption says "Advice is always close at hand."


Almost 3 years after I was harassed by a male student in my Chinese class at college, the conglomerate is continuing to use that incident to promote crime.

Citizens Bank is also my bank, although not really by choice.  I started my bank account with Citizens Bank about a year after moving to Boston because it has the most ATMs.  I didn't want to have to worry about ATM fees if I needed cash immediately, wherever I was around Boston.

Probably, Citizens Bank could hack my bank account and publish degrading, crime-promoting ads even if I weren't a customer of Citizens Bank.  Contrary to what the public is being told, there is nothing stopping corporations, media, governments, advertising agencies, other powerful institutions, and the wealthy, from criminally invading anyone's privacy or harassing anyone.

Who knows if I'm the only person around whom entire ad campaigns have been constructed and shown to millions of people, most of whom don't know who I am?  I've been blogging about the conglomerate for so many years, and am already known to enough of the public because of my blogging and the public's initial, negative response to it that people who have heard of me because of my unflattering Internet presence might eventually start to notice that references to me are cropping up in too many ads, songs, music videos, movies, television shows and professional and social media publications to be coincidental.

What about someone who has previously had no Internet presence, who is randomly or vengefully selected for psychological intimidation and emotional torture by his or her bank, phone company, Internet provider, Google, or any other organization or individual?  Who's going to believe that person?  What legal action can you take against harassment that you can't prove is happening because the method by which it's being orchestrated is invisible?  How can you defend your rights against, for example, a phone company that can post billboards by the side of the road where it knows you'll drive to work that have quotes from private texts or emails that you sent to or received from your spouse or someone whom you knew before you were married?  The attempts to embarrass or humiliate someone don't have to be sexual; all private information from every part of someone's life, past or present, can be taken, distorted, and distributed.

The possibilities for bullying the public into permanent, uncritical submission are endless.