Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Amateur foreign policy thoughts about Iran

I'm really tired.  I've been working at night, and no matter how late I get back to the shelter, I have to get up before 6:30 a.m.

So, Iran and the United States are not getting along.

I admit to not knowing very much about Iran.  I am guilty of having to strive against the ignorance which is part of a lot of American life.

Walking down the street, thinking about my impressions of the Iranian government, I was surprised to notice a resonance with some aspects of my personality, mostly stemming from a tendency toward absolutes.  Hatred of moral corruption.  Contempt for intellectual laziness.  True and emotionally intolerable dissonance between what I think the world should be like and what it actually is like.

Obviously I can't agree with many of the Iranian government's ideas of how those tendencies toward the absolute should be practically applied.  However, the starkness of character is probably more like me than any other person or human organization which is currently making the rounds of the Western media.

I live with my rage.  I have to work around it, to connect with the humanity of people whose morals range from questionable to totally despicable; at least, that is my opinion of their morals.  Maybe the Iranian government could try that; it has more control over its daily life than I have over mine.

I think about hitting and killing people every day, I'm so angry about how I am forced to live.  I'm not joking; to live with rage is not funny.