Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Support groups

My success with support groups is mixed.  The issues that are causing me stress are not what support groups are structured to deal with.  I recognize that, so I restrict what I talk about to the least unbelievable things; I don't talk in meetings about being known to famous people or being a blogger whose writing is read by the people who read it.

Things such as being victimized by voyeurism and bullied online are already somewhat beyond  the topics that are most discussed in groups.  Sometimes there is understanding and sometimes there isn't.  When there isn't, some of the people who hack my phone and who are invading the group's privacy because they want to know what I'm saying are happy to blame misunderstandings within the group on me.

That's how vicious and isolating it all really is.  Either I don't join the groups and have no support or I expose people in the groups who are talking about their pain to everyone who has bullied me for a decade and counting.