Sunday, September 27, 2020

Politics

My thoughts about the word "politics" are changing.  The word has a lot of uses.

I don't think that I'm ever going to want to be directly involved in a political process.  I hate public speaking.  I also don't like working in an environment which is extremely unpredictable, simultaneously demanding constant investment in personal relationships and presenting a never-ending series of threats to the ability to maintain integrity.  

That doesn't mean that being a politician has to be cause for mistrust or derision.  Unfortunately, I'm starting to think that American politics aren't attached enough to anything even to be called corrupt.  They seem to be insubstantial and perpetually at an impasse.  They also seem to be media-dependent/coerced and riddled with a shout-out culture that is more dangerous all the time. 

The Internet gives individual voice to millions of people in a way that nothing else ever has.  It is an indispensible equalizer for that reason.  However, it allows both for the illusion that people are equalized in other ways and for the illusion that casual statements and connections can't or won't be exploited.