Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Make the vaccine free.

From Congresswoman Cori Bush's Twitter:





_________


Unlike other health problems, even health problems that poor people have, Covid is highly contagious.  There is absolutely nothing that people in crowded living conditions with limited access to hygiene can do to avoid getting it when it hits their communities.  There is no lifestyle change they can make.  They can't organize to defeat it.  They can't sue anybody.  They are totally helpless, and it is murder to charge to save their lives.  

Who's organizing the funding and volunteering for administering it?  Should I know that already?  

Medical schools can waive a year of fees for medical students who want to go?  

It's not just India, is it?  Aren't there islands and other remote communities all over the place where everyone is going to die in one day?  

There is no comparison between my poverty and the poverty of people whose bodies are being burned in mass cremations.  I have never been in any danger of getting this virus.  I have had housing, food and enough of an income to pay my bills for the entire time.  I can and have bought boxes of disposable masks.  I could even move and get a job, although I lost it within a couple of days from the stress of realizing that I am being criminally victimized by voyeurism in my own home for the 4th time in a row in Massachusetts since 2013.  

It is important to be able to gauge one's own situation.  That is even more true when other people are in need.  

There is no comparison between the abuse inflicted on me and the abuse inflicted on millions of infants, girls and women by Female Genital Mutilation.  Both are heinous, normalized misogyny which governments aren't doing enough to stop.  Both are crimes of power.  Both are inflicted by and in a network in which women are not only enablers but also perpetrators.  Both are deliberate forms of emotional and social debilitation of women.  Both are coercive.  Both are vicious.  Both are irreversible.  Both force women to relinquish their right to sexual activity without ostracism.  Both are systematic attacks on female bodies.  Both are inflicted self-righteously.  Yet, there is no comparison.  I am more fortunate than the victims of that horror.