Friday, November 30, 2018

Maybe I wouldn't be homeless if the federal government hadn't audited the agency where my most helpful advocate worked.

She went to work somewhere else after that audit, and I futilely fought the eviction.

I have edited her name to protect her privacy.  I have replaced her name with "HomeStart Advocate."

This was during the Obama administration; all of these violations started during that administration and were known to that administration.

This advocate was a source of help for a year and a half, working tirelessly to help me obtain housing and providing emotional support when nobody else did.  Is that why HomeStart was targeted by the federal government?



----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Lena Kochman 
To:  HomeStart Advocate
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 10:39:42 PM EDT
Subject: Re: 🔎📹

HomeStart Advocate,

Thanks for your message.  I felt a lot better after I read it, for me, although I'm sorry that so many stressful things are happening where you work!

How would you feel about calling the Legal Advocacy and Resource Center and talking to them about the situation?  My concern is that, if we call the police without legal support, we might get a police officer who doesn't care and then we'll get nowhere.  

If you do decide to call LARC, being ready a few minutes before the hotline is taking calls and calling as soon as it's 9:00 a.m. is the only way to get through without being on hold for a long time.  

It's making me miserable to be victimized like this again.  I'm losing my mind.  


Lena


On Jul 26, 2016, at 8:53 AM, HomeStart Advocate wrote:
Hi Lena,

I apologize for the delay in my response. My program has been undergoing some big changes, I am understaffed, and we were just audited by the federal government. Needless to say it has been a busy few weeks, but I apologize for the toll that has taken on my advocacy! 

I want to help and support you in any way that I can. I understand that you have been the victim of these crimes before so I completely understand why you are worried that there are cameras in your new apartment as well. I wonder if the Cambridge Police Dept. has the capability to search for hidden cameras, I think it is definitely something we should look into. I am worried about how you will feel if they don't find anything- will you be able to continue living comfortably? My biggest concern is that you have a safe place to call home- but I understand that it doesn't feel safe right now. 

What if I called the police department to find out how this would be handled? I won't mention your name or anything but will just ask general questions about what their capacity is for this sort of request. Let me know what you think! 

Best,
HomeStart Advocate

On Monday, July 25, 2016, Lena Kochman wrote:

HomeStart Advocate,

Do you not believe that there are cameras hidden in my apartment?

Lena